Sunday, March 3, 2013

Changing research plans

My initial idea for an action research project looks like it will have to wait. The idea was predicated on our school's 7th grade class receiving iPads before the end of the current school year. Many of our campuses are starting to receive iPads for our 1/X program in which each and every student receives their own iPad to use throughout the year. My idea was to survey and track student self-efficacy in my art classes before and after students received their iPads to see if there would be a change. Art is one of the areas that I see a serious lack of advocacy for new technology and I was hoping that by doing this research I could at least start to shine a light on this issue. Granted, most art classes are concerned with using one's hands to create physical artworks, but I think there is definitely s place for new technology.

Back to my point...it doesn't look like our campus will be getting iPads this year. I'm sure they will within the next couple of years, but because I was doing this research as part of my M.Ed. A program I don't think I'll be able to use it. Instead I think I'll focus on our campus' first week welcome-back program in which we sort of get students to focus down, settle in, and get ready for the year. Traditionally this week has been completely non-academic and instead focuses on character-building, get-to-know-you activities, and games at the end of the week. The students seem to really like it, but I think that the staff has mixed feelings about it. Fortunately my principal is letting me head the committee for this week for the next school year. I think that there will be plenty of opportunity for some meaningful research during my time as committee chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment